Sunday, October 13, 2019

Healthy families in the digital age

Got a healthy family? Then you need to share a common cloud-based calendar so the family has one version of the truth (I mean, the schedule).  Use whatever tool you want, but here's how with Google:
As far as I know, this onetime setup only works on a laptop, not a phone.  After it's setup, the calendar can be viewed on a variety of apps.  Click the settings icon in the upper right corner, then click "settings" again (click any of these photos to zoom in):
Then click your name on the far left, and click on "share with specific people" beneath that:
Click the "add people" button and type the email or name (from your Google Contacts) and specify whether they should have read-only or read-and-write access.  Once you finish this step, they should have access immediately.

Similarly, it's important for modern families that are constantly on the run to know where each other are without the burden of having to call and ask.  Use whatever tool you want, but here's how with Google:
Open Google Maps on your phone.  This onetime setup only works on a phone, not a laptop.  Touch the settings icon in the upper left corner, then touch "location sharing."
Then touch the icon to add a person to share with.  You can see in this screenshot I share my location with my wife and my mom.
The default is to only share for an hour.  Touch the option "until you turn this off" then choose the person you want to share with.  (Drag the list of contacts left to scroll through it.)
The only drawback of Google Maps is it's hit or miss if the location it displays of your spouse or kid or whoever is recent.  It'll tell you how recent/stale their location info is, and at least half the time I use it, it tells my wife's location within the last 2 minutes.  But more often than never it'll say her location is 30 minutes or 2 hours or something else pretty old.  Most of the time this is fine, this is all I used for many years.

For the last couple months I've been using an app called Life360 (life360.com) that 90% of the time or more provides real time location, even showing my wife moving on the map as shes driving.  This isn't stalking, it's a time saver.  If we agree to meet somewhere and she's delayed, I can see that without calling her and wasting her attention while she's driving stressed to ask her to explain to me where she is.  I can know without asking her, and she knows it.  And vice versa is true.  When I'm working late in the office, she knows that's what I'm doing (where I am).  The Life360 app & account are free with limited tracking features, and offers a paid version with more.  So far I've been impressed with just the free version.

The above instructions have to be completed twice (once for each person who's sharing their location).  It should be obvious, you can only give out your location, no one can take it from you (without advanced hacking skills).

Enjoy!